Listen to the Mannlicher Carcano Radio Hour Live on CHMR-FM

Monday, November 24, 2008

A connecting principle linked to the invisible


Well, as anyone who tried to tune in Saturday knows, that was a washout. Radio station politics are so viscous precisely because the stakes are driven through the hearts and minds of a generation lost in space! Andro-GenX/Y plotting re-entry even as we speak. Until such time, feast upon this report from recently recruited adjunct member Rock Pitts, whose work with the disturbingly Mannlicheresque Solid Eye and Dinosaurs With Horns goes without saying.

"Yesterday (a morbid anniversary) I looked up the JFK assassination on Wikipedia and discovered the Mannlicher Carcano reference for the first time. Aha!! Moments later I was researching a movie scheduled for latenight broadcast on KOCE, an inland empire PBS affiliate who shows public domain commercial free movies in the early AM. 'McKlintock,' a John Wayne western comedy known for it's extended comedic mudpuddle fistfight and the spanking of Maureen O'Hara, was to be shown. No, I wouldn't bother to tape it. IMDB research lead me to find the movie premiered in 1963. In the viewer comments I read that in photos of the JFK's funeral procession the word 'McKlintock' is seen on a theatre marquee. It was a weird moment when all the connections were revealed.

My weirdest JFK moment came in 1964. As a five year old Jackie and JFK were popstar icons for me, especially after I got my parents to buy me a pair of bobble-head dolls at a liquor store/truck stop on the way home from a dove hunting expedition in the Imperial Valley. They had magnets located behind their pursed lips and kissed when situated next to each other. I thought it was the funniest most wonderful thing. I remember JFKs funeral. I was recuperating from a skinned chin caused by a Flexi Flyer mishap, and watched from the couch with my grandmother. The strange thing happened a month or so later when my brother Joe picked up the JFK bobble-head on my dresser. The right side of the dolls head was smashed. Joe said "Whoa, Ricky what happened to this?"
and I said "Oh yeah, I knocked it off the dresser and it broke".
"When did that happen?" I didn't know way he was so concerned.
"I don't know a long time ago...a few months ...I think before Halloween." Joe stared at the doll shaking his head with his eyebrows raised and made his trademark 'shhhhsh' sound of disbelief. Maybe the world has my carelessness to blame!"

No comments: